Sunday, October 2, 2011

Good Ol Boys ( #gobs) on Perception


When I was 16 years old, I worked at Erbert’s & Gerbert’s in West De Pere.  Right at the heart of the St. Norbert college bars.  I learned a lot of life lessons from my co-workers, many of whom were much older than I.  I’m not in touch with any of them anymore, but sometimes I really with I was.  They also enabled me to have an occasional cigarette while on break.  I never smoked more than a pack a month, but every now and again it’s nice to have one.  Any ways, on break, I went out to the side of Erb’s and had a cigarette.  Someone yelled from their mini-van “Put out that cigarette young man!”



“Ha,” I thought, “they should MTOB (mind they own business(typo intentional))!”  Ma calls me not one minute later, “what are you doing smoking!”  Turns out that mini-van had my parents in it, my uncle driving, and a couple other relatives, as they drove to a restaurant near Erb’s.  What are the odds of that?

I don’t want everyone to know that I smoke an occasional cig.  What if I want to run for office someday, know what I mean?  Much like, I don’t want everyone to know that on a Tuesday night, I might have more to drink than I should watching the Brewers.  It’s tough when the neighbors below have a persistent, very adorable, seven year old who will make frequent unannounced visits (door bell – “ding, ding, ding, ding, ding”).  

If I want to have a cig now, we have a balcony from our apartment.  This ‘man-cave’ area of seclusion overlooks the entire apartment complex.  There is no seclusion in this man-cave.  In all honesty, it’s probably a good thing because it may end up stopping me from smoking entirely.  But it probably won’t.

I got back inside this morning after having one, brushed my teeth (not in the kitchen sink), washed my hands, and then enjoyed a piece of gum: Ice Breakers Spearment Ice Cube, to be exact.
It is all about perception.  



Well, now it’s time to finalize my fantasy football picks and get ready for the Pack!

Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment