Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tuesday

Bob is in town from Washington. A military man, his visits are few and far between. When he comes, we make the most of it, no matter the circumstance. Dan, Bob and I had a few beers before heading out, the first time for all of us, to break in the Neenah bars. We didn’t find the Neenah bars, we found ourselves on the Menasha main drag. $10 cup gets you all the beer or rail drinks you want. I went for it, stupidly thinking rail meant top shelf. Yikes, I was way off! Bob found a couple friends in his ice cubes. Some lake flies got into the cooler.

There were maybe 10 people in the bar, but those Kess and Cokes were going down smooth and the juke box was ours. Nearing bar close, we found some cigarettes and were heading back to the car. A police officer stopped us, questioned us a little bit, and then helped us flag down a cab. Dan was still in the bar, Bob and I talked to the cab driver.

Six guys come out from a neighbor bar and aggressively take the cab. Bob and I hold our own, or try to at least. One of the six gets into a shoving match with Bob. Cops come back, the Six take off (in the cab), and you wouldn’t believe how hard it was recalling the events of only moments before. Articulating anything at this point was a challenge beyond what my wandering brain wanted to deal with.

The cops told us to walk home. As I said before, this was my first time going out to the “Neenah” (actually we were in Menasha – I think) bars. We steered clear of our friend Dan (who ended up sleeping in his car). We didn’t want to tangle him up with the police.

We walked about a mile in a half before I gave up, called 911 (drunk, and lost – in Menasha? Or Neenah?) and got a ride home.

Worst 3 hours of drunk sleep pass and I find myself too hungover for breakfast. Panting for water, horrible headache; but I would do it all over again. In a heart-beat I would. I gave that night my all, and it was well worth the struggle today at work. Aside from the bags under my eyes, I presented myself well also. I am quite proud of that.


Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment